The Association places special emphasis on providing quality low-cost practical training in governmental finance, budgeting and accounting. Members frequently serve as speakers and trainers in many of our programs. Each year the MGFOA holds regular annual events such as the Fall Institute, Winter Seminar and the Back-to-Basics series. In addition, MGFOA sponsors or co-sponsors special training sessions around the state. Recent topics have included debt issuance, risk management, investment policy and GFOA Certification preparation. Programs and topics are planned and developed by the Professional Development Committee.
The Spring Seminar is held in Lansing each year as a one-day session to provide the membership with updates on legislative, economic, managerial and government finance topics. The seminar provides an excellent chance for the membership to interact and exchange ideas.
The Association’s principal annual event is the Fall Institute. The two and one-half day conference is focused on providing concentrated training on accounting, investments, budgeting, technology and other topics of interest to governmental finance professionals. During the Institute, the Association holds its annual meeting, which includes election and installation of its new officers.
Half and full day classes geared to specific topics. The MGFOA Professional Development Committee oversees the content and delivery of the class course material. Courses are offered at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels to meet the varying needs of the participants. The MGFOA presents a series of recurring classes on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Back to Basics. Training Level 100. The MGFOA is proud to offer a package of three one-day seminars designed for practitioners in the field of public finance who are responsible for the accounting and budgeting functions in their governmental units. Participants must have had basic accounting and bookkeeping training to enroll in this program. Certificates of completion will be awarded to participants who successfully complete the series of three seminars within two years. Each seminar qualifies for six (6) CPE or .6 CEU credits. The CPE credits qualify for governmental accounting and auditing.
- Advanced Accounting. Training Level 300/400. This course will be an advanced session; it will be assumed that attendees have substantial knowledge and significant experience with governmental accounting and financial reporting. Topics will start at a high level and take a deep dive into the accounting theories underlying the concepts to be discussed.
- Advanced Cash Management. Training Level 300/400. This course addresses the unique rules and challenges local governments face in managing their cash. Attendees will leave with an understanding of what to expect from your banking relationship, good forecasting techniques, proper cash control procedures, reporting requirements, sample investment policies and an understanding of bond investing.
- Advanced Debt Management. Training Level 200/300. This one day seminar is entitled “Planning, Sale & Administration of Municipal Debt.” The seminar is designed for local officials and practitioners in the field of public finance who are involved in the debt administration of their governmental unit.
- Advanced Budgeting and Forecasting. Training Level 300/400. This advanced financial management session is designed to explore advanced techniques for effective budgeting and forecasting. Attendees should expect to learn “best practices” which should enhance the overall effectiveness of the entities budget development and management process.
- Advanced Payroll and Labor Issues. Training Level 300/400. This course is designed to review the unique rules and challenges for local governments and how to manage and account for them. Attendees should expect to learn in depth areas of federal regulations with emphasis on the Fair Labor Standards Act as well as identify measures management should take to position themselves positively upon a governmental agency audit.
MGFOA partners with MICPA to host webinars on a periodic basis. Check the Calendar of Events for dates and times. The recordings of these webinars are available on the Members-Only side of the website. Once purchased, members will have unlimited access to the recordings as long as they are a current member.