Cashier 2 - City of Auburn Hills
City of Auburn Hills
Position: Cashier 2
Department: Finance/Treasurer’s Office
Reports to: Deputy Finance Director/Deputy Treasurer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Civic Center
Pay Grade: Grade 3
Revised: February 26, 2018
Last Reviewed: NA
Status (FT/PT/Temp):Full time
Rate of Pay: $17.47 - $18.32 per hour, depending on qualifications.
Performs advanced cashier, clerical, and administrative work including cashiering, answering phones, receiving the public, providing customer assistance, data processing, and bookkeeping in a fast paced environment.
Works under supervision of the Deputy Finance Director/Deputy Treasurer, according to an established work routine.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Answers department telephones, provides assistance and information to callers.
Receives the public and answers questions; responds to inquiries from employees, citizens and others and refers, when necessary, to appropriate persons.
- Serves as cashier including collection of utility payments, taxes and various other payments, posts collections to appropriate accounts, balances daily receipts.
- Operates listed office machines as required.
- Processes and types department records, documents, forms, etc., assists with department correspondence and filing.
- Prepares and processes overpayment refunds.
- Processes bank transfers, ACH files and stop payments.
- Prepares documentation for placement and release of liens. Prepares and files all bankruptcy documentation.
- Scans checks into receivable software, balances and submits for deposit.
- Updates and maintains department spread sheets on computer system.
- Assists Finance Director/Treasurer and Deputy Finance Director/Treasurer with yearly tax collection, distribution and settlement.
- Prepares revised tax bills due to Michigan Tax Tribunal, State Tax Commission, and Board of Review changes.
- Assists Finance Director/Treasurer and Deputy Finance Director/Treasurer with monthly account reconciliations.
- Daily reconciliation of all City revenue received.
- Maintains and purges files according to the City’s record retention policy.
- Assists in weekly accounts payable process and other accounting functions as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Provides backup to related positions.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be 18 years of age or older at time of employment.
- No felony convictions or disqualifying criminal history within the past seven years.
- Must be able to read and write the English language.
- Must be bondable to $100,000.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products such as Word and Excel.
- Must be able to accurately add, subtract, multiply and divide.
Education and Experience:
- Associates degree (60 credit hours minimum) from an accredited college or university with course work in business, finance, accounting or a related field;
- Three (3) years of increasingly responsible related experience preferably in a municipal treasury or finance office, or any equivalent combination of related education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing; working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures; basic knowledge of accounting principles and practices; ability to type accurately 50 WPM.
- Skill in operation of listed tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform cashier duties accurately; ability to effectively meet and deal with the public; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; ability to handle stressful situations.
- Demonstrated understanding of homesteads, non-homesteads, taxable values, millage rates, Proposal “A” and Public Act 189 and 198. Additional understanding of TIFA/BROWNFIELD/DDA districts and land divisions a plus.
- Knowledge of Oakland County Tax Receivable System and/or BS&A a plus.
- Ability to work necessary overtime hours as assigned during tax and utility billing collection periods. Time off from work may be denied by the supervisor during these periods.
- Demonstrated ability to meet the above mentioned qualifications. An eight (8) week trial period is provided for existing AFSCME employees and a six (6) month period for new hires as provided by contract.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Phone; mainframe computer terminal; personal computer; copy machine; postage machine; fax machine; 10-key calculator.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and background check; conditional offer of employment; post offer medical examination; drug screening and psychological exam; additional job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
To apply for the position, please submit resume and completed employment application to:
email@example.com or mail to 1827 N. Squirrel Rd. Auburn Hills, MI 48326.
Employment applications can be found at www.auburnhills.org/application.