City Treasurer - City of Port Huron
THE CITY OF PORT HURON IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To supervise and coordinate the collection and custody of city funds; to protect the city's assets and conserve its cash; to supervise the preparation, distribution and collection of tax rolls and bills; to perform related accounting and administrative work. To supervise and perform work primarily involving billing, collecting and record keeping operations of the water office; to prepare correspondence and reports and perform related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Work is performed under the general supervision of the Director of Finance.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervision is exercised over employees assigned to assist the City Treasurer.
TYPICAL EXAMPLES OF WORK: An employee in this class may be called upon to do any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Plan and supervise the collection of funds received in payment of taxes, special assessments, utility bills and other revenue.
- Supervise the preparation, distribution and collection of tax rolls and bills.
- Collect personal property taxes and follow-up on delinquencies through court action, seizures and sales.
- Explain tax bills and resolve complaints from individual customers.
- Oversee changes to TIFA, LDFA, DDA, Brownfield and similar tax rolls.
- Prepare correspondence, records and reports.
- Perform the banking and bookkeeping duties for the Blue Water Area Transportation Commission as well as preparing their financial reports.
- Supervise the preparation, distribution, and collection of water and sewer billings.
- Supervise the distribution of work orders to servicemen engaged in repair, installation and maintenance of meters, reading of meters, and the repair and maintenance of the water service system.
- Explain water billings and resolve complaints from individual customers.
- Supervise the investigation and collection of delinquent accounts.
- Supervise the keeping of accurate customer records and accounts.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly and annual reports on water and sewer billings and collections.
- Balance Rental Inspection billing and prepare delinquencies for the tax roll.
- Perform related work as required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Considerable knowledge of financial accounting principles, practices and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of general business, accounting and statistical procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental accounting practices, property tax laws, and of the organization and functions of municipal government.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, including office equipment operation.
- Ability to prepare financial records and reports.
- Extensive knowledge of computer functions and operations and an in-depth ability to program and maintain spreadsheets.
- Ability to organize and supervise the work of others.
- Good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Ability to work effectively with other officials, employees, and the general public.
- Good management skills.
An employee in this class, upon appointment, should have the equivalent of the following training and experience:
- Associate’s Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Accounting, Business, Public Administration or a related field preferred.
- Several years of experience in performing responsible bookkeeping, accounting or related work.
- A minimum of three (3) years experience in an administrative/supervisory position preferred.
- Municipal accounting experience preferred.
Working Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Salary Range: $52,000 - $62,000 annually
Benefit Package, including:
- Paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal days and holidays
- Healthcare, dental, life and optical insurance
- Disability income plan
- Pension program
- Deferred compensation plan (457)
- Healthcare savings plan.
Date Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Application Deadline: Friday, March 30, 2018
- Job applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department or downloaded from
- A resume must accompany the completed job application.
- If mailed, it must be postmarked by the deadline date listed above.
- Original job applications will be accepted in-person or by mail at:
City of Port Huron
100 McMorran Blvd.
Port Huron, MI 48060
** EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER **