Deputy Controller - City of Burton
CITY OF BURTON
Posting Date: Monday, January 15, 2018
Apply by: Until Filled
The following position is available. For full consideration, all interested and qualified candidates should apply by submitting a letter of application and resumé to Sue Warren, Director of Human Resources/Labor Relations, City of Burton - 4303 S. Center Rd., Burton, MI 48519. Applications will be taken until position is filled.
- Must be a high school graduate
- Must have a 4-year Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Finance, CPA preferred
- Five (5) years’ experience in governmental accounting, tax or related financial applications, and general ledger accounting
- Knowledge and experience in payroll processing, accounts payable, preferred
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Michigan
- Must have reliable transportation
- Proficient with accounting software, i.e., BS&A
- Ability to formulate and install standard and special accounting methods
- Proficient in the use of computers, including but not limited to Microsoft office programs: Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and data processing programs
- Ability to review and understand existing policies and procedures
- Professional appearance and presentation to the public and/or vendors
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Including and not limited to:
- Will maintain various fiscal, budgetary, governmental cost accounting, bookkeeping and tax records of more than average levels of difficulty within the Controller’s Office.
- Extensive use of the Michigan Governmental Accounting System, to maintaining general and subsidiary budgetary, utility, tax or cost accounting records, and preparing periodic reports with and without the use of a computer.
- Maintain and record all pension plan activity.
- Work with and supervise other departmental employees regarding any other financial activities including, but not limited to payroll, accounts receivable, inventory, and budgetary functions.
- Maintains and is knowledgeable of all special assessment activity including the initiation of proper record keeping.
- In absence of the Controller, serves in that capacity in directing all activities within the Controller’s Office.
- Perform other specialized related work as required by the Controller including, but not limited to grant, special project accounting, and fiscal reports.
- Other duties as assigned and/or directed.
The employee must perform work in an indoor environment with multiple interruptions. Must be able to work unsupervised and have the ability to assist others within the department.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Work year, wages, and benefits as outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the City of Burton and SEIU.
Wage range will be 46,400.00 - $58,000.00 annually, based on qualifications
Work schedule will be Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (estimated)
Criteria for performance include, but are not limited to:
-Participation in specific training or workshop opportunities
-Production and efficiency related to job duties
-Verbal, mathematical aptitude as required by job duties
-Computer/Software knowledge and usage