Director of Finance - Village of Glencoe, IL
Director of Finance
Village of Glencoe, Illinois
Glencoe, IL (pop. 8,900) The Village of Glencoe is an affluent, historic community located on the shores of Lake Michigan, approximately 20 miles north of downtown Chicago. Glencoe is a Special Chartered non-home rule, AAA rated community of approximately four square miles. The Village boasts a vibrant downtown, nationally ranked schools, award winning parks (many designed by acclaimed landscape architect Jens Jensen), historic neighborhoods with a rich architectural heritage (boasting the third largest concentration of Frank Lloyd Wright-designed structures in the world), and is the home of the Chicago Botanic Garden and Writers Theatre, a nationally-acclaimed theatre company.
Glencoe places the highest emphasis on customer service and excellence in municipal service delivery and has a long history of innovation. Glencoe is the first council-manager community in Illinois, one of many “firsts” in the Village’s history of innovation. The Village has an annual budget of $25 million (General Fund is approximately $18 million) and 100 full-time employees allocated across a fully integrated Public Safety Department (officers are cross-trained as firefighters/EMTs/police officers), full-service Public Works Department (including a municipally-operated water treatment facility and distribution network), Finance, the Village Manager’s Office and a municipal golf operation (a wholly separate enterprise fund).
The Finance Director is appointed by the Village Manager. The most recent Finance Director served the Village for 29 years, 19 as Finance Director. In addition to the Director, the department has 5 full time employees—an Assistant to the Director, an Accountant, a Data Coordinator, a Billing Coordinator and a Management Analyst.
- The Village’s next Finance Director will be an integral part of the executive management team, participating in key decisions regarding economic development, capital planning and development, long- and short-term revenue and expenditure strategies, budget development and administration and all policies affecting the overall fiscal health of the Village.
- The Finance Director is an important communicator – the Director must be able to discuss complex financial concepts and strategies in a manner that can be readily understood by individuals with and without municipal finance backgrounds, and as a member of the Village’s leadership team, the Director communicates within the organization about Village goals, priorities and work plan initiatives.
- The Finance Director must maintain a forward-looking perspective, constantly scanning the horizon in efforts to anticipate future problems and work toward developing potential solutions – candidates must be creative, innovative, committed to process improvement and excited to think about local government service delivery and financing in new, progressive ways.
- The Finance Director leads a professional team and encourages staff growth and development by offering learning and professional development opportunities and providing coaching and feedback.
- Candidates must have a master’s degree in public policy, public administration, finance, business administration or a related field, plus at least seven years of increasingly responsible experience in executive-level financial administration, a portion of which is in the public sector. CPA or Certified Public Finance Officer designation is a plus.
- The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative team-player with strong communication skills and a passion for outstanding municipal service delivery.
Salary: $150,000 +/- DOQ. The Village of Glencoe offers a competitive benefits package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates should apply no later than March 9, 2018 with resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 references to www.govhrusa.com/current-positions/recruitment to the attention of Heidi Voorhees, GovHR USA , 630 Dundee Road #130 Northbrook, IL 60062 Tel: 847-380-3240