Financial Services Director - Ingham County
Financial Services Director
Posting Number: #18-034
Annual Salary: $ 83,170.94 - $ 99,829.21
Application Deadline: 11:59 PM Friday, March 16, 2018
Required Documents: Resume, Cover Letter, Transcripts, Application
Under the direction of the Ingham County Board of Commissioners, serves at the pleasure of the County Controller/Administrator to oversee the accounting, payables, payroll, grant and insurance reporting functions of the County. Recommends related policies and is responsible for preparation of County financial statement and various financial analysis projects.
1. Develops and administers financial policies for the Board of Commissioners and all county departments and agencies.
2. Manages accounting policies for all county operating funds, special purpose construction and operating grant funds, trust funds, capitol improvement funds and other funds which are deposited with the Ingham County Treasurer.
3. Supervises grant recording of expenditures and revenues and financial reporting thereof.
4. Oversees and directs special financial analysis such as the internally prepared cost allocation plan and internal audits.
5. Oversees the general ledger, payroll and accounts payable processing. Oversees testing, implementation and modifications of the related software.
6. Responsible for required IRS payroll reports, as well as retirement, deferred compensation, and flexible benefit plan reports and payments.
7. Monitors departments and agencies to ensure compliance with State requirements and generally accepted accounting principles.
8. Oversees the accounting practices for Drain Commissioner Component Unit.
9. Oversees preparation of the internally prepared Ingham County Comprehensive AnnualFinancial Report in compliance with accounting standards established by the Governmental Accounting Standard Board (GASB).
10. Is a member of the Deferred Compensation Committee, responsible for assessing the administration of the plan and its investments.
11. Is a member of the County Retiree Health Insurance Trust Board, responsible for investing the assets of the County’s OPEB Trust.
12. Is responsible for the administration of all the employee benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance.
13. Is responsible for the County’s property and liability coverage, claim processing and IBNR annual calculations.
14. Is responsible for the financial administration of the County’s worker’s compensation selfinsurance fund.
15. Is responsible for the reconciliation of all cash and bank accounts (maintained by the Treasurer’s office) to the County’s general ledger system.
16. May attend Budget and Finance Committee meetings.
17. Oversees and provides guidance for the Annual Single Audit and all follow-up issues with Federal Departments.
18. Is responsible for the safekeeping of the Ingham County financial data input to the computer system.
19. Responsible for issuing required reports in a timely manner, such as 1099’s, W-2s and 1095 forms.
20. Provides accounting expertise and assistance to County component units and departments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must adhere to departmental standards in regard to HIPAA and other privacy issues.
- During a public health emergency, the employee may be required to perform duties similar to, but not limited, to those in his/her job description.
(An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the above tasks. These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
Education: A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required. A CPA is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of seven (7) years of related experience is required.
(The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other jobrelated selection or promotional criteria)
1. This position works in an indoor environment. There is no planned exposure to prominent lights, noises, odors, temperatures or weather conditions.
2. This position is required to travel for meetings and appointments. Some appointments may be held at personal residences where levels of cleanliness and safety vary.
- This position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, balance, twist, bend, stoop/crouch, squat, kneel, lift, carry, push, pull, reach, grasp, handle, pinch, type, endure repetitive movements of the wrists, hands or fingers.
- This position’s physical requirements require periodic stamina in walking, climbing, twisting, bending, stooping/crouching, squatting, kneeling, lifting, carrying, pushing, reaching, grasping, and pinching.
- This position’s physical requirements require regular stamina in sitting, standing, typing, enduring repetitive movements of the wrists, hands or fingers.
- This position performs medium work requiring the ability to exert between 20-50 pounds of force in the physical requirements above.
- This position primarily requires close visual acuity to perform tasks within arm’s reach such as: viewing a computer screen, using measurement devices, inspecting and assembling parts, etc.
- This position requires the ability to communicate and respond to inquiries both in person and over the phone.
- This position requires the ability to operate a PC/laptop and to enter & retrieve information from a computer.
- This position requires the ability to handle varying and often high levels of stress.
(This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description.
These include, but are not limited to, the requirements listed above. Reasonable accommodations
will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these
Where to Apply: