Clerical Level III Position, Charter Twp Flint
CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF FLINT
ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT |CLERICAL LEVEL III POSITION
The Township Clerk is hereby posting for the position of A.F.S.C.M.E. Clerical Level III under the direct supervision of the Controller and Clerk. Persons interested must submit an application to the office of the Township Clerk, located at 1490 South Dye Road, Flint, MI 48532 for said position by Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. Applications and job description may be obtained from the office of the Township Clerk at the aforementioned address during regular working hours from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The Charter Township of Flint is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A full time technical accountant’s position in the Clerk’s Department under the direct supervision of the Clerk and the Controller. Performs accounting, analytical and record keeping functions where accurate typing, mathematical and record keeping skills are required as well as the ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others.
1. TYPICAL DUTIES:
Full-cycle accounting duties for the various Township funds (fund accounting):
- Reconcile the monthly bank statements for each assigned fund and enter corresponding journal entries in the general ledger
- Reconciliations of various general ledger accounts
- Accounting for gasoline inventory and usage
- Monthly billings to Carman-Ainsworth Senior Center for utility and gas usage
- Review, enter and process the cash receipts for each assigned fund
- All other required monthly journal entries for various receipts and expense allocations
- Preparation of the monthly financial statements and distribution of those statements to the various elected officials and department heads
- Annual accruals and corresponding journal entries
- Preparation of various documents for the annual financial statement audit
2. Accounts Payable duties:
- Coding and entry of all Township invoices and check requests into Accounts Payable System and processing checks for the weekly accounts payable off-run and the semi-monthly accounts payable board run
- Reconcile vendor statements
- Maintain vendor records
- Process and reconcile the annual Accounts Payable System close at year-end
- Annual accounts payable accruals
3. Payroll duties:
- Maintain employee records in the Payroll System and the personnel files
- Process bi-weekly and special payrolls by entering hours worked by appropriate category, adjustments, per-diems, deductions and employer costs and completing all applicable steps in the payroll checklist
- Reporting and remittance of payroll taxes and various withholdings such as child support, union dues, retirement, etc.
- Maintaining and posting to the attendance software employee vacation, personal time, FMLA, etc.
- Updating and distributing the overtime reports after each payroll
- Updating the workers’ compensation worksheets after each payroll and processing the annual workers’ compensation audit information
- Calculating the annual payroll accrual and corresponding journal entries
4. Assist the Clerical Office III Fringe Benefits Administrator with the following:
- Enroll employees in applicable health, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurances
- Assist employees and retirees with insurance issues and questions
- Assist retirees with Health Reimbursement Arrangement reimbursements
- Process employees’ and retirees’ coinsurance reimbursement requests
- Process workers’ compensation claims
- Process liability insurance claims
- Process short-term disability insurance claims
- Process monthly insurance billings
- Bill retirees for their applicable portion of insurance premiums
- Send and process Family Medical Leave Act paperwork for applicable employees
- Prepare and process purchase orders
5. Operate office machines such as copiers, calculator and fax machine. Possesses excellent computer skills and ability to prepare Excel spreadsheets and Word documents.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
THE ABOVE JOB DESCRIPTION IS INTENDED TO IDENTIFY THOSE AREAS AND DUTIES GENERALLY REQUIRED OF THE CLERK’S DEPARTMENT CLERICAL III ACCOUNTING POSITION AND THE NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK TO BE PERFORMED. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT INTENDED TO BE AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL JOB DUTIES PERFORMED HEREUNDER.
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL:
- Have attained the age of 18 years at time of application.
- Possess a Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university in a related field, with a minimum of two years related work experience. (Management may, at its sole discretion, substitute a combination of education and experience for the degree).
- Understanding of basic accounting principles.
- Have excellent knowledge of computer programs such as, but not limited to, Word, Excel and Windows Operating System.
- Be able to accurately perform mathematical computations.
- Be able to understand and follow written and oral directives.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with the general public and create and maintain a good working relationship with co-workers.
- Maintain confidentiality of all personnel, payroll and fringe benefit information.
- Be able to compose correspondence in an accurate, clear and concise manner.
- Be able to lift and carry boxes of at least 25 pounds in weight.