Financial Analyst - Sr Financial Analyst, Royal Oak
Closes On: November 14, 2018 at 04:00 PM EST
Location: City Hall, Royal Oak, MI 48067
Job Status: Full-Time
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Rate of Pay: $57,176.00 - $80,659.00
Position Type: Open Competition/Non-Civil Service
Status: Accepting Applications
Details: Applications will be reviewed continuously until position is filled. Pay Class/Rate
Depending on Qualifications
Under the direction of the Finance Director, the Financial Analyst/Senior Financial Analyst performs the analyses and monitoring of all the City’s budgets and financial statements. Considerable independent judgment and initiative is required. Knowledge of City operations, professional governmental accounting and computerized financial/accounting systems is required.
Essential Job Functions
The financial analyst/Senior Financial analyst may be called upon to perform any or all of the following: (These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employee may be expected to perform.)
- Play a major role in the preparation, administration, analysis, and projections for the City’s budget.
- Perform detailed personnel costing.
- Confer with department heads regarding budget preparation/monitoring including revenues, expenditures, fund balance/net assets, goals, objectives, performance measures and organizational charts and financial planning.
- Monitor budget to actual revenues/expenditures (variance reports), discrepancies and projections.
- Perform various cross-charge rate analyses.
- Perform cost benefit analyses.
- Perform capital project monitoring and analysis for budgetary purposes.
- Data collection and analysis for the development of the water and sewage rates.
- Play a major role in preparation of the City’s annual Capital Improvement Plan document.
- Make recommendations to the City’s budget process or other processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency of operations.
- Data collection and analysis for various reports including grants.
- Assist the Director and City Controller in preparing for audits, including but not limited to budget to actual variance explanations.
- Other fiscal analysis as required, such as review of detailed financials for internal control purposes.
- Function as an integral part of the purchase order process for budget control purposes.
- Assist with consolidating/coordinating purchases among departments to achieve greater efficiencies.
- Assist departments with bid / quote preparation and proposal process.
- Resolve discrepancies related to vendors, purchases and other purchasing needs.
- Effectively utilize the City’s financial management software (including the general ledger, purchasing, and payroll/human resource applications) for data collection, analysis and reporting purposes.
- Perform other work as required such as assist with purchasing functions.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelors degree in accounting, finance or related business degree and demonstrated financial analysis experience or a combination of education and experience resulting in the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Ability to effectively analyze budgets and interpret financial and accounting records.
- Considerable knowledge of applicable budget practices and federal, state and local laws.
- Working knowledge of applicable financial management system applications (BS&A) and Microsoft Excel.
- Communicate effectively and work collaboratively with department heads, City officials, co-workers, external auditors and others.
- Municipal experience preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus to both print and electronic text.
Application Special Instructions
Submitting an online application through this site is strongly preferred. (Only) if you are unable to complete an online application, you may obtain an application packet in the Human Resources Office at City Hall, 211 S Williams St, Royal Oak, MI 48067, or you may download an old application packet by clicking here.