Supervisor of Accounting Management, Wayne County
SUPERVISOR OF ACCOUNTING MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET THE CHARTER COUNTY OF WAYNE
Annual Salary: $60,662
The Supervisor of Accounting position within the Department of Management and Budget (M&B) is situated in Downtown Detroit. This role reports directly to the Director of Financial Reporting, its primary focus is to manage and ensure accuracy in general accounting and annual financial reporting functions, including financial statements.
Overall responsibility includes overseeing the maintenance of County funds and accounts using the JD Edwards Accounting System; cost accounting functions and transactions including cost allocation, journal entry and approval, ledger reconciliation, indirect cost and property accounting, along with other related financial documents.
The Supervisor of Accounting assists County departments and divisions with special projects, accounting problems, design of suitable systems of internal controls, interim and year-end accruals, reporting and close out functions. This role manages staff, handles special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
Principal Duties and Responsiblities:
- Responsible for interim general ledger reporting, general ledger account analysis and other financial statements. Including monthly closing of subsidiary modules (AP and AR) and GL.
- Schedules projects, make staff assignments, and maintain files.
- Directs, counsels, instructs, supervises and reviews work of accountants.
- Responsible for year-end compilation of data, adjustments, and reporting.
- Identifies and assumes responsibility for the resolution of significant accounting and budgeting issues.
- Performs special reviews at the request of management.
- Assumes responsibility for CAFR reporting, interim reporting and other financial statements.
- Other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles of financial management.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong computerized accounting skills.
- Strong budget preparation skills.
- Working knowledge of legal and regulatory obligations.
- Good oral communications and human relations skills.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines is a must.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to work independently and guide oneself with little or no supervision.
Desired experience and training:
Training: Six (6) years of full-time paid professional governmental accounting experience that includes general ledger work and GAAP financial statement preparation for a governmental entity, within the last 8 years; and two (2) years of full-time paid supervisory experience. CPA is preferred.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
Work is performed in an office setting.
Interested candidates should submit a resume via email to email@example.com
If you have any questions please contact:
Claire Mason Lee Division Director of Administration, Benefits and Disability Administration, and Risk Management at 313 224-0571; or
Precious Walton HR Manager at 313 224-5381
Wayne County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skill required of personnel so classified.